Joining a gym is a big commitment, and one that can be a bit intimidating if you are new to the gym atmosphere. Considering the money you’ll be paying for a membership, it’s important to make an informed decision before you sign up.
The biggest goal you have should be finding a gym in Phoenix, AZ that fits your personal health goals and needs. Perhaps you’re trying to lose weight. Maybe you’re rehabilitating after an injury, or are looking to boost your athletic performance for a certain sport. Whatever your goals, make sure you find a facility that has all the equipment, services and classes you need to achieve them, and take a tour of the facility before you sign on the dotted line.
While you’re visiting the facility, here are some questions to keep in mind—some of which you’ll be able to ask the gym staff:
- What sorts of qualifications do the trainers have? Many gyms require their trainers to maintain certifications from various health and sports agencies, such as the American Counsel on Exercise. Ask if the gym’s trainers have any similar certifications, and determine the qualifications for the nutritional staff as well. It’s always helpful to have a registered dietician to turn to if necessary.
- What classes are available, and how do they work? Will the classes be included in the monthly fees you pay, or do you have to pay extra? Will you need to reserve a spot in advance, or can you just show up? How many people typically attend these classes? Do the classes come in varying skill levels? It might also be helpful for you to attend a trial class before you join the gym, if that’s an option.
- Is the gym kept clean? As you go on your gym tour, look around the weight room, exercise rooms, locker rooms, showers and pool area, and look for cleanliness in each space. Specifically look at the machines. If there are dust piles under pieces of equipment, for example, this is a sign that they probably aren’t maintained very well. The lockers, showers, sinks and toilets should also be cleaned regularly.
- What are the hours of operation and peak times? If you like to work out early in the morning or late at night, it can be helpful to have a gym with 24-hour access. It can also be helpful to know when the peak usage times are, so you can plan around those times if needed. You probably aren’t going to want to wait in line for the machines you plan to use.
- What types of equipment does the gym have? If, for example, you need a good selection of free weights, it doesn’t do you much good to go to a gym that only has machines. Look closely at all the pieces of equipment the gym has and see if there’s anything missing that is a deal breaker for you.
For more considerations to keep in mind when joining a gym in Phoenix, AZ, contact Pamela Young Fitness today.
Categorised in: Gym